|What's In the Mail Today?|
|Season 1, Episode 9|
|Air date||October 30th, 1997|
|Written by||P. Kevin Strader|
|Directed by||Hugh Martin|
|Falling for Fall||Dancin' the Day Away|
What's In the Mail Today? is the ninth episode of the first season.
One morning, Bear steps just outside the Big Blue House to check the mail. There's plenty of mail, but Pip and Pop are disappointed to learn there's none for them. Bear cheers them up by letting them deliver the mail to everyone and personally takes a letter to Tutter --- his first ever. It's from his Grandma Flutter and he's very pleased to receive it. Pip and Pop deliver a package to Treelo, which turns out to contain a feather. Tutter decides to write a letter back to his Grandma. Ojo also receives mail, which is a postcard from her Uncle Koala. Shadow tells a story of a girl who wrote a letter, but lost it.
- "What's in the Mail Today?" (music and lyrics by Dave Kinnoin & Peter Lurye)
- Dear Grandma (music score and lyrics by Brian Woodbury & Peter Lurye)
- The theme for this episode is about mail.
- Pip and Pop reference a well-known U.S. Postal Service slogan when they say that they won't let things like rain or snow stop them from delivering the mail.
- The first song in this episode, "What's in the Mail Today?" is Track 2 on the album More Songs from Jim Henson's Bear in the Big Blue House. The second, "Dear Grandma" is Track 4 on the album Songs from Jim Henson's Bear in the Big Blue House The first song is listed in the closing credits of the episodes without a question mark and the second is titled "Dear Grandma Flutter" in the credits. "What's in the Mail Today?" is sometimes heard in a shortened form in later episodes. The version on the album contains additional lyrics and a backup choir not heard on the TV version.
- There is no mention of Jeremiah Tortoise in this episode, but as the Woodland Valley mailman, he will become an important figure later in the series.
- This episode appears in most online listings with neither a comma nor a question mark in the title.
Any goofs? Resquest some goofs from the episode in the comments.
Watch the episode now. English version not here yet. Right now, you can watch this English episode at the Volume 1 page. It is the second episode of Volume 1.