|The Big Little Visitor|
|Season 1, Episode 16|
|Air date||November 10th, 1997|
|Written by||Andy Yerkes (and Co-Producer)|
|Directed by||Hugh Martin|
|Summer Cooler||A Winter's Nap|
The Big Little Visitor is the sixteenth episode of the first season.
Tutter receives a letter in the mail that his Grandma Flutter is paying a visit to the Big Blue House. Bear informs Tutter that the letter says she's coming today, which sends Tutter into something of a panic. His Grandma likes for things to be clean, but Tutter doesn't feel there's enough time to get ready. Everyone in the Big Blue House helps Tutter to make a go of it. They clean up the house. In the Shadow segment, Shadow tells the story of "Hickory Dickory Dock," about the mouse who went up the clock. Tutter cleans out his mousehole, and Pip and Pop weed the flowerbeds with Ojo's help. Having all gotten dirty, they take a bath. But then, Bear does the cha-cha-cha and Tutter joins, leaving him all hot and sweaty. Grandma Flutter arrives and Tutter learns she's just happy to see him. He even finds out some things he never knew about her before.
- What's in the Mail Today? (Music and Lyrics by Dave Kinnoin & Peter Lurye)
- Clean Up the House (Music and Lyrics by Peter Lurye)
- Where Oh Where is Shadow
- Everybody in the Tub (Music and Lyrics by Brian Woodbury)
- The Bear Cha-Cha-Cha (from Picture of Health) (Music and Lyrics by Peter Lurye)
- The theme for this episode is about family.
- This episode marks the first appearance of Grandma Flutter.
- Alice Dinnean joins the voice cast.
- This episode was adapted in book form as A Surprise in the Mailbox.
- Bear comments that Grandma Flutter's letter must have been delayed in the mail. This is no surprise, as viewers later learn that the mail in Woodland Valley is delivered by a tortoise named Jeremiah. In the fourth-season episode, "A Strange Bird," Bear learns that a penguin named Puck is coming to the Big Blue House when he finds a two-week old postcard at the post office.
- The closing credits refer to this episode as including the songs "What's In The Mail Today?" and "Everybody in the Tub." However, when this airs on Disney Channel these two songs are reused.
- Interns Dara Resnik, Eric Handler, Michael Schupbach, Neil McNally & Carrie Gillen, are still credited.
- The Bear's crew were hoping to get ready for Grandma by going in the tub, but the camera fades to the Big Blue House with another camera zooming down toward the door after Bear's introduction of the song and the instrumental version of Everybody in the Tub is heard.
- Eugene Meienhofer is credited as Eugene Meinhofer.
Watch the episode now.